From: "Mary Wilson Stewart" <stewarmw@JMU.EDU>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: workshop ideas

> Kevin,  this is from a long time lurker... seizing an opportunity to
contribute. I'll try to confine my suggestions to those aspects of my
lectures that are interactive. I apologize in advance for the lengthy post.
> I teach care and handling workshops each year to James Madison University
English Honor students who are about to begin their thesis research. Many of
them will be using the SAME reference materials over and over therefore, the
care and handling is very important. Kevin, in your case, librarians are
observed handling and using books thereby  setting examples and teaching
patrons. Librarians will also be
> in a position to make changes in their future environments and need to
know how to recognize damaging influences.  Two causes of damage are
emphasized, however,  use and inherent.

> Damage from USE: This workshop is taught  in a room with shelved books on
3 walls but providing filled booktrucks scattered around the room is
satisfactory. I explain the parts of a book (endsheets, coverboards,
textblock, headcap, tail, waist, etc.) They are all asked to get up and
remove a book from the shelf/booktruck. Discussion follows re: proper and
improper ways to remove a book. The correct way is
> demonstrated to prevent torn headcaps.
>
> We have a well established collections conservation unit at the main JMU
library and I have access to many examples of damaged and repaired materials
to show and prompt discussions. I give simple explanations of spine
replacements due to torn headcaps from improper removal (USE)or weak cover
material from exposure to uv rays(INHERENT). Librarians should be encouraged
to lobby for uv shielding on windows
> if library materials are shelved in direct sunlight. Also exhibited are
puppy chewed damaged books, items with spilled food and drink on them,
mutilated pages and replacement pages, torn endsheets (often results from
shelving on fore-edge) and new endsheets and the time and costs of these
repairs is noted.

> A few quick comments are made discouraging dog-earring pages, using paper
clips and objects as bookmarks and post-it-notes on items you want to keep
forever.  Preservation bookmarks are given out.

> Also, everyone is given a covered mug upon leaving to discourage spilled
drink. The staff and faculty also appreciate this when given a preservation
orientation at the beginning of their employment. Our university food
service markets and sells these mugs. They run a student contest every year
for mug design and they give us free-of-charge the leftover last year's
model design mugs for distribution for
> the purpose of library preservation.
>
> INHERENT damage: A quick history of papermaking and an explanation of
acidic content and the ensuing damage is shockingly demonstrated and
experienced by providing brittle paper on each table. They are asked to ball
the paper up/crumble.  It creates a mess but definitely makes an indelible
impression.  Abbey pH pens are provided (we must share) and a mixture of
permanent paper and highly acidic paper is
> placed on each table and students are encouraged to "test" the papers.
Books are then provided to everyone to look on the verso for the infinity
sign or simple declaration of the paper being acid-free. Afterall, care and
handling is not just for library books but for protection of personal
libraries as well. This is supporting the manufacturers of permanent paper
and encourages one to look for the
> indication of pH neutral paper when purchasing books for one's own
library. JMU students are required to publish their theses on permanent
paper.  Environmental (temp. and RH) influences on paper are also discussed
with examples circulated of moldy books in a ziplock bags, of course.

> Again, sorry for the length of this post but hope you can cull some
interactive ideas and improve on them.

> Mary Wilson Stewart
> Preservation Manager
> Carrier Library/JMU
> Harrisonburg, VA
> stewarmw@jmu.edu
>
> Kevin Driedger wrote:
>
> > I have been asked to teach a couple "Materials handling and book repair"
workshops to new librarians. They will be 2 hours long with 30-35 people in
each of the 2 sessions.