Re: preservation bookmarks

Preservation bookmarks (bookmarkers) are paper bookmarks printed with
preservation tips i.e. good care and handling advice. The bookmark itself is
often made of permanent, pH neutral paper. We distribute a type of preservation
bookmark to new staff with the outline of a book on it.
                    Books Need TLC(in a heart shape) Too!

On the Job

   * Use proper shelving & handling techniques
   * Handle materials carefully during photocopying
   * Refrain from eating & drinking when working with library materials
   * Refer damaged materials for proper repair
   * "Mark" your materials with noteslips-not stick-ons, clips, & bands.

In the Building

   * Help enforce the library food & drink policy
   * Report potential disaster situations.
   * Advocate preservation-educate users, by your words & actions.

Other good preservation bookmarks I have seen were designed by U. of Cincinnati
Libraries, ALA. a great series by U. of California, San Diego Libraries, Indiana
U. Libraries, and U.of  Texas at Austin. Some libraries will share for the
asking or sell for a nominal fee.

Mary Wilson Stewart
JMU/Preservation