Re: score repair -re: spiral in hardcover

In a message dated 3/13/02 6:02:47 PM, maykitten1@YAHOO.COM writes:

<< A librarian has suggested a spiral
> >binding, but that is not acceptable in this library.   >>

************************
Re:
SMK wrote and I would tend to agree:
>>>I would suggest photocopying a circulation copy, spiral or plastic comb
bound; that would be available to the patrons, and putting the
original volume away from use as a rare book in it's current state.>>>>

In addition, you might be interested in a technique that I developed for
supporting a spiral bound book in a hard cover. An article was written for
the winter 1997 issue of ARCHIVAL PRODUCTS NEWS (Archival Products is a
division of Library Binding Service, 800-526-5640). The title is SPIRAL
BINDINGS IN A HARD COVER: AN ALTERNATIVE TO REBINDING. The article was also
reprinted in THE ABBEY NEWSLETTER  1998.

Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695
814-793-4020