Re: Book Club Subscriptions

since 1979. That has been on a per-edition basis. The way that works is I
contact one or two collectors/curators and offer them a deep discount for
advance payment on an edition I have not yet started. That enables me to begin a
prototype. Once I have something to show I offer one or two more at a higher
price. As I get closer to finishing the edition the price increases.

The discount is for the risk the collector assumes in paying for something that
I may not live to finish. It may be months or years before an edition is done.
Minsky in Bed
http://minsky.com/mib.htm
took 7 years. What I did for that was issue it in fascicles. That means I sent
the subscribers each chapter as it was finished. When the book was complete they
returned the chapters to me for binding. The current edition of The Bill of
Rights
http://minsky.com/billofrights-edition.htm
was done in a similar way. The first subscriber paid for it two years ago. As
each amendment is finished it is sent to the subscribers. In this case each
amendment is a binding or bookwork, so there is no need to assemble or return
anything on completion of the ten works.

>Do patrons prefer more expensive programs for additional perceived
>value or less expensive programs because the books are cheap and fun?

Both. It depends on what your work is and what the market for your work is. The
important thing is giving good value. Subscribers appreciate that they have the
opportunity to acquire work below the market price, whether it is through
commitment to buying the work, as in Pat's example, or for assuming risk, as in
the above examples.

The risk is not as extreme as it sounds.  If I die before the work is finished,
the collector still has the extant fascicles or whatever I have produced.  They
are then more rare, as I have not made all the copies, and more valuable, as
they are the last work of a dead artist.

A few times I have done "Book of the Month" deals with collectors who wanted to
build their collections of my unique bindings, where they get one binding a
month and pay on delivery. They have the option of choosing a price point, and I
get creative freedom. They have always been happy with the works they got, and I
enjoy creating a series of works for a specific collection.

In the mid 1980's I did a series of miniature books with watercolor studies of
geometric binding designs that synthesized a style based on constructivist,
bauhaus, deco and abstract expressionist paradigms. A collector bought several
of these little books and commissioned a "book of the month" series of geometric
bindings executed in lacquer and inlaid leather, based on the miniature studies.
I am glad that material is kept together in one collection, as it shows the
evolution of thought and execution.

You can see one of the books of miniature watercolors, titled Seventy Studies,
at
http://minsky.com/seventy.htm

I also did an edition of 50 copies of one of these little books, reproduced by
color laser, titled 32 studies, with a 1/4 leather binding and lacquered laser
print boards. It's at
http://minsky.com/books.htm#32

--

 Richard