PVA glues and archival

I guess I'm just busy today. Second question I'd like to ask of this
list today:

PVA glues. I've heard that these are "archival". Coming from a
stone-lithography background where paper made up a big part of the
materials I dealt with, this says to me (bare with me) that something is
"acid-free, does not yellow or damage the paper or material on which it
is used, is in some sense stable."  Are PVA glues archival and a good
choice for not only bookbinding applications but also for other art
applications such as paper collage-ing?

One other question related to the term archival: Is the term archival
also used to refer to glues that can later be "deactivated" if, for
instance a book is in need of repair. I understand the PVA glues are
permanent in that it's awful hard to undo what has been done with the
glue. Is this then an example of a material that, in this sense, is not
archival?

thanks again,
Cal Smith