Re: commercial printing and Book Arts

I have produced many offset projects, mostly having done the printing myself
but not always. Offset is actually much more cost effective per unit, if the
runs are large enough. Except for very simple projects, most offset printers
deal with boilerplate commercial work and don't understand the creative
needs of a  book artist. However, there are some smaller ones around who are
good to work with.

The creative possibilities of offset are actually much more open than with
other printing media, such as letterpress, printmaking, etc. Plates can be
made from computer files, of course, which is how most commercial work is
done now (direct to press notwithstanding), but one can also get non
photographic plates that one can draw on directly, or use positive plates,
etc.

Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press
Cincinnati, OH