Re: Offset Printing

Alice Simpson wrote:

> It certainly is an easier way of producing work, but I question whether
> offset is included in the Artist Book category. Since artists now create
> laser printed books I suppose offset is just another reproduction technique.
> I would be interested in opinions on the acceptability of this form of
> printing.

Me too. Personally, I don't see any reason why offset work can't be art. In my
mind, it's the content that counts anyway, what does it matter how the message,
or story, argument or wordplay is communicated. I guess it all depends on
whether or not one feels that Art happens in the medium itself and not somewhere
else....

Also, I'm not sure that it is necessarily an easier way of producing work. I did
stone lithography for a few years. Producing work on a computer for eventual
offset printing actually doesn't take any less time. It's a whole different
process, but there's still often alot of work involved...

...but a computer won't make you an artist, sigh.

Thanks to all for replies I've received so far. Keep your stories coming if you
still have them.

:)
Cal Smith