Re: PVA Glue

I don't consider any of the PVA's to be archival in the
sense that they are likely to remain substantially unchanged
for a hundred years. Jade 403 is now a generic name for a style
of PVA and the formula has changed over the years.

This often happens in commerce.

While I do use them, they are never used on primary (original)
material.  For that I use only cooked starch paste or animal
hide glue.  Those have centuries of time-in-grade.

The formula for hide glue has not changed.  Starch is a little
more problematic, but precipitated starch is best.

I purchase PVA by the pint and write the date of purchase on
the container.  The current container has the date Oct. '90.
But there is enough formaldehyde in the formulation that it
still seems to work.

It's not enough to glue things together and call it good because
the book may get wet when a pipe breaks of the roof leaks and
it has to be taken apart, dried out, and put back together.

Not easy to do if the spine was glued up with PVA.

If the textblock was sewn into a concertina, glue it up with
tar for all I care; or the cover; or a box.  But not the
original, important, material.

Just a thought from an old fogey.

Jack

>Considering the different types of PVA glue, is
>PVA (Jade 403) considered one of the better archival types?
>
>Cherie Fisk

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon USA