Re: Binding Magazines

Chris wrote:

>2. You discover that January-November are saddle stitched, December is
>perfect bound.

        One thing I've done, and it seems to working, is to line the
spine of the perfect bound issue with spine lining.  Then sew it
through the middle of the issue as normal.  The spine lining prevents
the sewing from ripping right through the perfect binding.

In fact I had a customer ask me to do this to all 6 issues of a
periodical.  There was insufficient margin for our regular page
attachment methods.

The spine of the periodical often needs to be sanded to remove any
glossy coating that would prevent the glue from adhering well.  I
also sand a small bit, about 1/8 of an inch, on the front and back.
This is because I wrap the lining around to the front and back, just
a bit to hold it.  A small amount does show but not much.

- Duncan
--
     "All my life I wanted to be someone;
   I guess I should have been more specific."

   Duncan   http://www.campbell-logan.com

        Campbell-Logan Bindery, Inc.
              Minneapolis, MN