[BKARTS] how to glue labels

De-lurking to ask a question.

Is there a trick to pasting labels onto the front of cloth-bound books?

I need the glue to go right to the edge of the label so that the whole surface
sticks, but when I press down on it, a small amount of excess paste creeps out
and sits on the cloth.

Perhaps there is a trick to wiping away this excess - so far, I've only
succeeded in making a mess.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

John Ballantrae