[BKARTS] Inquiry Re Paste Paper

Re: acrylics in paste paper.
I have been painting with acrylics since the mid-70's and find you get what
you pay for. My preferred brand is Golden, in tubes. A paint's opacity or
transparency can be an asset depending on the desired look.  For instance
the color pthalo. blue is incredibly transparent yet quite rich and strong.
  There are some really cheap acrylics out there like the Liquitex "Basics"
which are best avoided since they're lots of water, little pigment.
Liquitex's regular acrylics are fine. Other paints can be added but might be
fugitive like watercolor, or impermanent like gouache.

I always add glycerine or liquid dish soap to help the fluidity and
bendability of the finished product.

On papers: anything that doesn't get too weak in the process. I like working
with colored "art" paper like Canson MiTientes. Basic drawing paper works
well. Vellum can be fun to use when there might be light involved.  I've
used the very light weight interleaving paper but it is real tricky because
it wants to tear when wet. Copier paper, tracing paper, typing paper, play
with them all. Slick or shiny papers can yield beautiful results but the
paste doesn't seem to stick as well to the surface when you're wrapping
boards.

Paste paper paste can be worked directly onto mat board, however, the board
tends to warp if it's not somehow counterweighted.    I've gessoed and
sanded canvas and worked the paste on that. (Would that be called paste
canvas?)    These don't work: newsprint, construction paper, tissue paper.

Have fun with it and let us know what you've learned.
Kitty
          Kitty Spangler
     kspangler@earthlink.net
     Turtle Migration Press