Re: [BKARTS] What is leatherette?

I've also had customers ask for "leatherette" and upon questioning it
turns out they are referring to bonded leather.

For those not familiar with bonded leather it's a manufactured
material that uses scraps of leather, much the same as fiber board is
made from wood scraps.

The bits are somehow reconstituted - pressed? - into rolls or sheets.
The finish and grain are also not naturally occurring.  It is
available in a wide variety of colors and textures.

Bonded leather is often used in high volume commercial binding
because it is machine friendly.  The sheets will easily pass through
a glue machine and it requires no parring because it's so thin to
begin with.

The fun part is when you see a 40 yard roll trying to imagine the
size of cow that would be necessary.  :)

- Duncan

--
     "All my life I wanted to be someone;
   I guess I should have been more specific."

   Duncan   http://www.campbell-logan.com

        Campbell-Logan Bindery, Inc.
              Minneapolis, MN