[BKARTS] Scanning Handwriting

If you scan your signature (or any line art for that matter) as black and
white instead of grey scale, then import into your software, you can make
the background (the white) transparent, which can then lay over any type of
background you may also have.
Janet Lee

At 07:44 AM 4/3/2002 +0200, you wrote:

>I've scanned my handwriting at 100%, anywhere from 150-300 dpi (depending
>on how large you want the writing to be reproduced and how it will finally
>be printed) into Photoshop or other image-editting software. Scan as
>grayscale. You'll probably want the writing to be in black pen of some
>sort -- my scanner does not see pencil too well, for instance.
>
>In Phototshop, I then use the Threshhold feature (I believe under the
>image:adjust menu) to clean up the resulting grayscale scan -- threshhold
>removes intermediate grays, leaving you with only black or white pixels.
>In the preview, you can adjust the setting until the handwriting appears
>the way you like.
>
>With the grayscale pixel-ized version of the handwriting, you can then
>"colorize" it however you like -- the duotone setting in Photoshop is
>handy, using one color, of course. Also, Quark allows you to assign any
>color to imported, grayscale TIFF images.
>
>I've printed this type of thing out on my Epson inkjet and have gotten
>great results.
>
>Hope that helps.
>Cal Smith
>
>Catherine Ednie wrote:

> >           CENTRAL NEW YORK BOOK ARTS: TRADITIONAL TO INNOVATIVE
> >            See The Exhibition Online, And Order Your Catalog.
> >
> > I'm a beginner in book arts and I want to make a chapbook containing
> reproductions of handwritten material. I'd like to look at samples or
> hear about different techniques. Scanning? Photocopies? I don't want to
> use a handwriting font, but other suggestions or references would be welcome.
> >
> > Catherine

JANET PLANET DESIGNS
4595 West 6th Avenue  •  Vancouver, B.C.  •  V6R 1V4 Canada
Phone: (604) 222-8372  •  Fax: (604) 222-8368
Email: jml@teraplanning.com  •  URL:
http://www.teraplanning.com/JanetPlanetDesigns/