Re: [BKARTS] What is leatherette? Bonded leather?

Betty,

My experience with "bonded leather" has also been ALL bad.  It seems to be a
popular covering for hand Bibles, although it is about the most undurable
stuff imaginable for a book that will probably be heavily used.

After a couple of years the adhesives used in the manufacture of bonded
leather will be noticeably deteriorating, and after four or five years the
material is going to be rather "gooey", sticky to the touch, perhaps coming
apart in pieces.  I tell my clients that I will not repair it.  If they want
to save the book, they will have to replace the cover with a completely new
one--either cloth or full leather.  Some will buy a new Bible, some will fix
the old one (usually those who have filled its pages with annotations will opt
for a fix).  Some may find another person to do their work.  Fine with me.

I don't use "genuine leather" either, because it is really only a very thin
membrane of skin glued to paper.  Not durable.  Good only for a cheap,
temporary fix, if that.

I do use synthetic leather, which although not completely esthetically
appealing, is at least durable.

Carol
Eugene, OR