Re: [BKARTS] What is leatherette? Bonded leather?

Betty Storz wrote:

>me to make for him. Everyone tells me to stay away from bonded leather, and
>I will, but I'd like to know specifics.
> Betty

Betty,

Bonded leather looks like a "hard" finished leather but is incredibly
weak.  Most of our business is in repairing Bibles and the bonded
leather has about the same lifetime as a glued binding. It's used mostly
becuase it can look and smell like real leather and it works in case
binding machines really well, but it is not long lasting. The average
bible that comes into the shop here has wear and tear on the hinges and
around the edges. All I have to do when a customer asks why we don't use
bonded leather is pull an old cover out from under the desk and show how
it rips just like paper. They almost always go for real leather, though
I have a few who choose cloth or vinyl coated paper or cloth.

Randy