Re: [BKARTS] What is leatherette? Bonded leather?

In a message dated 4/7/02 4:37:10 PM, randy@ANR.NET writes:

<< Betty Storz wrote:
>.........Everyone tells me to stay away from bonded leather, andI will, but
I'd like to >know specifics.
> Betty

Randy wrote:
...... the bonded leather ..... works in case binding machines really well,
but it is not long lasting. ...........

********************

Bonded leather may work well in machines, but when I had to use it many years
ago, I had great difficulty working it around corners by hand. As I worked
it, the finished surface came off and required retouching. WHAT A BIG WASTE.
It also looked very artificial.

It would be really nice if there was a better/nicer finished imitation cloth,
similar to those that are available from Gane Bros. Some of their material is
OK.
Obviously, real leather is the best for appearance and workability, BUT there
are certainly occasions where real leather should not be used --- such as,
where cost is a factor, where a cheap grade of real leather is a waste of
time and money, and where the client wants a temporary covering for things
like diplomas and other presentations. There does seem to be a need for a
good quality, imitation, leather-like book cloth.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695
814-793-4020