Re: [BKARTS] Art Deco Book Design

We have a number of books in the art deco style at the Jaffe Collection by
John Vassos. If my facts are correct, he's the man who designed the
household refrigerator that had a motor on top of the unit. But he also
designed and illustrated books in the 1930s, and they are definitely
influenced by the streamlined lines and architectural elements that are
part of Art Deco. Look for these titles:

         "Ultimo" 1930
         "Phobia" 1931
         "Humanities" 1935
         "Contempo" (don't have a date for that one right now... ours is
packed up for exhibit. Aluminum cover, though, if I remember right)

I don't know the full extent of his career, but he also did quite a few
interpretations of the works of Oscar Wilde. Some of the books we have by
Vassos are limited editions, others are trade editions. Of the trade
editions, at least one title ("Ultimo") was produced in at least two
different bindings, both in 1930.

John Cutrone
The Arthur and Mata Jaffe Collection