Re: [BKARTS] Paste Paper Follow-Up

Judith writes:

<< My paste/acrylic mix seems to have little slubs in it, which seem to be
from the paste. I'm using tapioca paste ... (Wheat and corn flour and
cornstarch are also available - would those be better?) >>

I've never used tapioca.  I like cake flour for paste; it's a little finer
than regular flour.  I also like rice starch, but I've got to visit the
specialty grocer for that.

<< It seems to keep remarkably well, without moulding, in the fridge. But it
does seem to have little slubby hard particles, more so in the mixture with
acrylic. >>

As to the lumps:  If you're straining as you pour, then maybe it's the
tapioca that's the problem, or maybe the problems happening in the
refrigerator.  What are you doing to prevent a skin from forming as the
paste cools in the refrigerator?  I spritz the top of the paste lightly with
a little cold water and then press a piece of Saran Wrap down to prevent the
water from evaporating and air from hardening the top of the paste.
Otherwise, you could be creating little lumps by stirring the hardened top
back into the rest of the mixture.

BTW, I haven't seen any appreciable difference between using a regular
strainer and using a fine strainer -- except that the fine strainer requires
a deeper fund of patience than I possess.

The sandy texture is probably the tapioca.  I notice a difference in texture
between rice flour, rice starch, and various wheat flours.

Regards,

Beth Lee
Tallahassee, Florida

e-mail:  callibeth@comcast.net