Re: [BKARTS] Gel Pen Help?

Bobbi writes:

> I am desperate to find a way to revitalize gel pens that have simply
> 'given up the ghost!'  Any tried and true methods for getting that gel
> out of the pen?  I am wondering if there is a readily available or
> kitchen remedy for making 'something' that I could, perhaps, inject into
> the pen using a syringe.

On another list, a woman in Australia wrote that she had planned to clean
out her nearly empty gel pens and use them as embossers.  She put about 2cm
of "white spirit" into the end of the pen and shook it up with her finger
over the end.   It loosened the remaining ink and the gel pens started
working again.

We asked her what was in the "white spirit" and she replied:  "turpentine
substitute.. in small print also says.. contains 100% v/v liquid
hydrocarbons.. recommended for specialty thinning and as a cleaning
agent for grease, wax etc."

I keep meaning to try this, but right now I don't have any gel pens that
don't work (she says smugly).

Regards,

Beth Lee
Tallahassee, Florida