[BKARTS] Shepherds Bookbinders - Head of Conservation, London, UK

Shepherds Bookbinders
Head of Conservation
25,000 - 27,000 Pounds Sterling per Year
Friday, April 19th, 2002

Applications are invited for the post of Head of
Conservation.

The work of the conservation studio focuses on paper
and archive conservation and book restoration. In
conjunction with the Fine Bindery,also in Central
London, Shepherds is able to offer a unique service in
the total care of books and paper. Our client list
includes major museums, libraries and private
collectors throughout the world.

Based at our Rochester Row Site, the successful
candidate will be a member of our senior management
team and will be directly responsible for a department
of four conservators. The postholder will report to
the Managing Director.

The postholder will have responsibility for:

- Running our busy conservation department at
Rochester Row
- Overseeing conservation best practice throughout the
company
- Taking senior responsibility for the running of the
Rochester Row site
- Taking part in key strategic decision making for the
Conservation department

Management of the conservation department involves:

- Preparation of surveys, reports and estimates and
client liaison
- Supervision of our team of conservators within the
department and of conservation work carried out at the
Fine Bindery
- Maintaining Health & Safety standards
- Overseeing departmental administration
- Contributing to marketing proposals and budget
writing
- Maintaining a hands-on role within the department

Required Skills/Qualifications:
We are looking for a qualified practising paper
conservator with specific experience in the
restoration of books and archives. At least 5 years
experience at management level and proven leadership
skills are essential. A commercial background would be
an advantage.

Application by CV and covering letter to:
Linda Watts,
Shepherds Bookbinders,
Units 107-108,
30 Great Guildford Street,