[BKARTS] creative letter writing

I'm looking for ideas to use while teaching creative (letter) writing to 8 - 13 yr.olds participating in  a  performance arts 2 week workshop this summer.

The theme is "Letter Box Theater". Each child chooses a literary character to develop(Cinderella, Tom Sawyer, etc) and corresponds with others, in character, by mail. Character development(description) is the focus. The letters will be read, replied to, and used to develop performances from.

Specifically I'm interested in appropriate techniques, writing tools, materials(writing instuments, papers, letter-writing/journal/book structures), and resources that would be appropriate to age level and theme.

All suggestions for ideas and references will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Christine Tarantino
wordsoflight@netzero.net