[BKARTS] miniature bookbinding class

I will be teaching a class in miniature bookbinding at the North Bennet
Street School in Boston this summer. Here's the info (sorry for all the
cross-posting):

Miniature Bookbindings

Miniature format books present difficult design and structural
challenges to the bookbinder. A
true miniature is less than three inches tall, and during this course,
the student will construct a
series of models of diminishing size. The course will cover sewing
structures, endsheet
construction, headbands, spine linings, board fabrication, and covering
in paper and leather. We
will analyze materials and structures suitable for small format books,
with a concentration on
flexibility, book action and openability. Given the limitations inherent
in small scale work,
students will struggle with the artistic challenges of creating a clear
and expressive design
suitable to the smallest books. The goal will be the precise execution
of finely detailed work.

Prerequisite: This course is aimed at individuals with some bookbinding
experience
and knowledge of cloth case binding.

Cost: $400.00

Instructor: James Reid-Cunningham is a 1990 graduate of North Bennet
Street School Bookbinding program. He is the Conservator of the Graduate
School of Design, Harvard University, and is the President of the New
England Chapter of the Guild of Book Workers.

The course will be held at the North Bennet Street School in Boston,
July 29 to August 2, 2002,
from 8:30 to 4:30 p.m. More information and registration materials can
be found at the school's
website: www.nbss.org, or by calling Janet Collins at the school at
617-227-0155.

Those interested can also feel free to call me for more information.

--
James Reid-Cunningham
Conservator

617-496-8542
fax 617-496-5929

We refer you to the conservation department
to consummate your swell purpose.
-William S. Burroughs, Naked Lunch, 1959.