[BKARTS] Artists' Book Exhibition - Call for Entries

Call for Entries

Artists’ Books Exhibition

June 10 – 17, 2002

Cuesta College Art Gallery

San Luis Obispo, CA 93403-8106

Just a short introduction to the call for entries for "Artists’ Books 2002",
my name is David Prochaska; I am an instructor of fine art at Cuesta
College, San Luis Obispo, California. Since 1999 I have organized an annual
book arts exhibition, to expose our local community to the community of
artists making books. These exhibitions have grown each year, both in the
number of books exhibited, as well as the number of enthusiastic visitors to
these installations.

This year’s exhibition will take place in our newly constructed exhibition
space here at Cuesta College, and is scheduled to run from June 10 - July 7,
2002.

If you are looking to expose your artist books to a new and enthusiastic
audience, then this is the exhibition for you. However there are the usual
limits

found within the arts today, support monies. In these times of fiscal
restraints, we are all aware of the limited funding accessible to the arts.
At the same time we must, as artists, be aware of the need to build greater
exposure to all art forms.

For this reason we must continue to ask the artists contributing to these
exhibitions to assist in the transportation of their books. (Mailing fees
generally cost between $10 to $20 dollars.) With no entry fee or other
charges this is a small price to pay to get your books out to the people. If
you feel this is an exhibition worthy of your support and participation, we
would love to have the opportunity to exhibit and explore your investigation
of the book form.

This is a hands on exhibition! We want to encourage the visitors to interact
with these book forms, so please send books you want people to interact
with. We will provide gloves to the visitors to protect the books from any
soiling. But again, we really do hope to build a willingness to interact
with the books exhibited.

The exhibition will display between 80-100 books, so your work will be in
good company.

To participate in "Artists’ Books 2002", please write, call, or e-mail me
at -

David Prochaska

Cuesta College

Fine Arts Department

San Luis Obispo, CA 93403-8106

Phone- (805)-546-3100ext.2756

Email - dprochas@cuesta.org

Thank you for helping bring the books to the people. I look forward to
hearing from you.