Re: [BKARTS] Fake Deckle

Katie - You may already have tried and rejected this method, but here's mine.
Score, fold and compress the paper, using your bone folder, along the line
you wish to tear. Open the paper and take a small, rounded brush loaded with
water and follow the newly made crease. Let the paper absorb the water, then
gently coax the fibers apart by holding down one side of the paper and
pulling the other side away from it. I was taught this method in my beginning
printmaking classes (where cutting paper was a no-no) and it produces a false
deckle, not as nice as the real one but better than just tearing the paper
against a straight edge. The water helps the fibers to expand and the edges
then are feathery. It works equally well for heavy and light-weight (even
rice) papers. Barbara Harman