Re: [BKARTS] Trends and influences

My guess is that Richard was saying something more like (forgive me for
putting words in your mouth, Richard, especially if I'm wrong!) that folks
are wanting more and more challenging book projects, and that they have
short attention spans sometimes. As has been pointed out, more and more
people are becoming interested in book arts, and that is bound to include
those who are fascinated for a short time and then move on to something
else. I also sometimes have  workshop participants who seem to think that
the only "real" book is a case bound, multi-signature book, with handset
metal type on handmade paper. Get thee behind me, Fluxus!

As to trends, I'd have to say that in the Cincinnati area the workshops that
fill the most, at least at Ars Brevis Press, where we offer just about
everything book/printing related, are the "digital book" workshops. By far.
Those people seem to want to be able to make really nice looking books with
a PC and a word processor and a cheap ink jet printer, and don't want to
hear that it might not be a good formula for the most impressive work, that
they might need better tools and better skills. I think I prefer the ones
who want the "real" book...Sigh..

Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press
Cincinnati, OH