[BKARTS] Trends, cont.

I probably should augment my last posting about trends. I realized after I
wrote it, that I was thinking more in terms of extremes, and not of the
norm; so I wasn't really talking about trends at all. It's funny how
instructors tend to remember those on the fringes rather than those who are
making up the majority.

As I said earlier, there is a lot of interest in the digital book, but we
also have a growing interest in letterpress here. What seems to be happening
is that the majority of those "digital folks" are people who  realize that
the computer can be utilized in a richer way to help them produce better
work. On the other hand, some of the ones who sign up for letterpress are in
it as a reaction to the digital work, feeling a sort of sacredness for the
traditional; for example, graphic designers who are sick and tired of their
creative lives being dictated by a computer are common in classes dealing
with handset metal type. In both cases, what is common is a quest for
excellence and a reaction against mediocrity. Now there is a trend worth
noting!

Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press
Cincinnati, OH