Re: [BKARTS] Trends and Influences

on 4/27/02 1:42 AM, J Barrass at judyb@NBCNET.COM.AU wrote:

> <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>
> Bravo Barbara! Concertinas have been around for a long. long time.
>
> However, I think Richard is also right. There is a growing interest in more
> and more complex bindings. Unfortunately (from my point of view) there is
> not a corresponding interest in content. Many bookbinders have shelves of
> beautifully bound books, all blank inside. The interest is in trying and
> mastering each new binding  ( raised cords, coptic, etc etc) then moving on
> to the next.
>
> What is a book? Is it a binding?
>
> Judy Barrass

> <http://www.philobiblon.com>
>
> Archive maintained and suppported by Conservation Online
> <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu>

I'm just a lurker on the list, but I feel the cover and exterior of a book
should be a reflection of and enhance the content/meaning of a book. More
than merely be a protector for the contents. Think of the palm-sized books
of poetry that fit so comfortably, get better with use and feel so nice to
hold. They encourage a tactile and intimate connection with the words and
can help sensitize the holder to subtly. Its the overall form that should he
the focus not only the look and function of a good bind.

Just my two cents...

Kevin Zak