Re: [BKARTS] Trends, cont.

As a new student to book arts, I have been experimenting with different
approaches. It seems to me that many people on the fine arts side of print
production are realizing that although the computer has incredible
possibilities, it is just a tool and one of several that a book artist may
choose to employ. Working digitally has its advantages, but traditional
methods have different advantages. I have been working in the publishing
industry for the past several years, and as I explore book art in my
personal work, it has been something of a challenge to reconcile the two
extremes.

I do see trends in instruction because I seek them out and also work at an
art and design school. I agree with Richard that learning some of the more
esoteric aspects of bookmaking are becoming available to the general public,
such as coptic, sewn to cord, photopolymer plate, and sculptural works. As a
beginner, the prospect of studying these can be very exciting, but also
intimidating. My intuition tells me to build vocabulary of techniques
starting from the basics, but since some of these "sophisticated" courses
don't require much experience, there are a lot more choices open to me than
I had thought.

Also, Judy is certainly right that very few of the courses out there focus
on content. This is unfortunate because what's so interesting about the
variety of bindings is how the content might inform it, and vice versa. I'll
be studying this aspect of bookmaking for the first time at Haystack this
summer.

Perhaps someone could comment on what kinds of trends have been seen
content-wise, such as exhibits and call for submission themes? I'd be
interested to hear more about what book artists have been making their books
about, not just how.

Lani Labay
Publications Coordinator,
Department of Continuing Education