Re: [BKARTS] [[BKARTS] Cotton, Flax or Hemp CLoth]

Anastasia-

You can use articles of clothing to make paper, just be sure to not
include synthetic blends that might throw off the mix.  Most items made
from cloth have a tag sewn in somewhere that shows the fiber content
and percentages of each if a blend.  You could write a book of your travels,
then print it on the jeans you wore on the trip =)

Linen is made from flax fibers, so your local fabric store is a likely
source.  Linen tends to be expensive, so you might aquaint yourself with what
it looks and feels like, and then frequent thrift stores and tag sales looking
for a linen table cloth or two.

Many proponents of marijuana advocate wider use of the hemp fiber for fabric,
paper, etc., so a visit to a "head" shop might turn up either cloth, or
someone who knows a source for it.

Another respondant to your question list mentioned burlap. The fiber is jute,
and is also used for paper.

have fun,

Tony Archer

Anastasia Weigle <inabind.studio@VERIZON.NET> wrote:

Hello fellow book artists,

> I am a novice in paper making and will be attending the PBI 2002
> workshop this May. I am attending the "Making Paper for Books" class.
> The instructor is asking us to bring 1-5 lbs. of 100% cotton, flax or
> hemp cloth--not fibers. The cotton cloth I would suspect I can get at
> any fabric store. Am I correct on that? However, where would I be able
> to purchase 100% hemp cloth or flax  cloth?
>

> Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anastasia Weigle
> "In A Bind" Studio
> 10 Longwood Avenue
> Old Orchard Beach, ME  04064

        Archive maintained and suppported by Conservation Online