Re: [BKARTS] Trends and influences

Hi,
As an artist and book artist here in Oklahoma I've seen tremendous interest in
'Artist Books'.
In general of all of the classes I teach, my 'how to make a book' classes are
the most popular.  They fill up to the attendance limit every time.  Many of my
attendees are artists themselves and they are wanting to create their own books
for everything from 'sketching' to making 'portfolio's' - not to mention
content filled artist books.

Some of the books I've seen them make are relatively simple bindings, simple
content - sometimes it's digital/graphic/copier created.  I've seen some
absolutely gorgeous books created with hand done calligraphy, or letterpress
etc.   Many books approach the feeling of a 'Zine' - hand done cartoons and
collage etc. to tell the story.  Other books have the feeling of ancient
manuscripts.

I have done, and taught, both 'simple' bindings and 'complex' ones.  I find, in
general, that people are seeking to bind books in ways that complement or
accent the content or intended use of the book.

I also regularly sell both my bound blank books - and my content filled 'artist
books' in various art galleries.  They sell fairly well.

Over time, I have been forming an opinion that people in general are looking
for more personal ways of interacting with their world.  Creating books seem to
be more 'possible' as a personal self-expression method - even more so than
drawing or painting.   So both artists and non-artists seem more interested in
creating a book as a method of self-expression and sharing the book - rather
than making a painting and trying to get into a gallery etc.

I don't know that this is exactly true, but it is my general impression that
people are tiring of 'cookie-cutter mass-produced pabulum' found in chain book
stores, Walmart and shopping Malls.  They want something unique and different -
something personal.  I am also forming the opinion that the Internet, and it's
'instant publishing' possibilities have affected peoples reactions/responses to
books.  Now they are wanting to create or 'publish' (if you will) their own
book, much like they want to put up their own 'web site' and say to the world
"I'm here, I matter and I've an opinion about.....".

For example, sometimes people want to collect and 'bind' email's they've
recieved from someone who is now no longer living.  I think in general people
are realizing that a 'digital' or 'paper-less' correspondance is easily lost if
it is left in 'digital' form - due to computer virus', or computer breakdowns
etc. - so they are trying to remedy that by 'binding' their digital
correspondance.  (even tho it's not a sophisticated bound book - it's a
meaningful one to them).  Much like people in earlier times collected postal
letters and other momentos from loved ones in boxes or cedar chests.

Obviously some websites are better done than others.  Same with books, some are
better done than others.
But I've been seeing a trend in a desire for 'self-expression' in a more
'permanent' fashion -- and afterall a book is more 'permanent' than a website.

Thanks,
Sue Clancy
http://www.telepath.com/artist
artist@telepath.com