Re: [BKARTS] Trends and Influences

1. Barbara: Sorry if I sounded dismissive of a book form, that was not the
intent. It was, as Katie suggested, more about students, artists and artisans
wanting to advance their knowledge of book structures. It was not, however,
about short attention spans. Diane is correct about the advantage of the
accordion in displaying content, even when not in a "plastic cube" as in
http://minsky.com/paper1976.htm

2. Judy and Patricia: I have made lots of blank books, and to me they have a lot
of content, remaining blank. Besides the book artchitecture (intentional "t" in
spelling) or design of the binding, they often iconify particular paper, like
1947 Whatman, etc. such as
http://minsky.com/11.htm or
http://minsky.com/snake.htm

Some have been created for particular manuscripts, like
http://minsky.com/6.htm

or have been made as a guest book for a particular house
http://minsky.com/chateau.htm

Many of these books of exquisite paper have remained blank, because they
challenge artists and writers to make marks which are better than the blank
page. Those that have been filled have perhaps raised the level of the artist's
work through the care that went into their making.

--

 Richard
 http://www.minsky.com