Re: [BKARTS] Exhibition Installation Online

Richard:

That is a very impressive exhibition. As is your entire web site. You put
some of us to shame because you are so productive with really strong work
coming out again and again, despite all the other irons in the fire...
Anyway, congratulations on a very top notch show.

I'm wondering if, during your research for the Bill of Rights Exhibition,
you ever came across this factoid: I heard recently that in the early
colonial days, those who lived in America were not allowed to cast their own
type, that they had to import it from England, and it was always the used or
marred type that none of the English printers wanted. That is the reason,
the story goes, that so much of the printing from colonial times was not of
very good quality, hence the familiar uneven letterforms with jagged
borders, etc. Do you (or anyone else) know anything about this?

I'm working on a new book about the metal typefaces in my shop and the men
(yes, they were all men, Virginia) who made/designed them, so am collecting
anecdotes about type and its origins. If any of you have things to share,
please feel free to email me offlist (or on list, for that matter, as there
may be others who might be interested.)
Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press
Cincinnati, OH