[BKARTS] Subject: book suggestions

<< I'm teaching college sophomores, mostly at the lower end of the
intellectuality scale.....
I'm dreaming of something that includes articles on cave art, cuneiform,
Egyptian hieroglyphics, Meso-American writing systems, illuminated
manuscripts, brief histories of papermaking and of books, a little
cross-cultural
stuff on calligraphy. something on Gutenberg, a little not-to-heavy
theory about what "text" has come to mean, a little Keith Smith, something
historical or theoretical about artist books and book arts --- you see what
 I mean... >>

My suggestion would be that you make a book of your own. Then, whatever your
students come up with won't disappoint you... BUT, that said, what they do
come up
with may be quite a pleasant surprise!
Alice
<apeachW96@aol.com>
<<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/tangobook">
http://www.geocities.com/tangobook</A>>

<<Hello, book folks -

I am writing to request recommendations for a text to use in a class called=
 Making Text, which will consider text from cave-painting to the WorldWid=
eWeb. The purposes of the class are partly English Comp II, but I'll be t=
eaching some simple book structures, and everyone is expected to make a h=
andmade book (with their own content) and a web page, as well as writing =
a research paper on a textual tradition that interests the student. BTW, =
I'm probably going to have them buy LaPlantz for the practical end of thi=
ngs.

I looked at Jerome Rothenberg's *A Book of the Book* because the range of c=
ontent is nicely broad, but the level of the writing is WAAAAAY to high -=
 =C3=8D'm teaching college sophomores, mostly at the lower end of the int=
ellectuality scale.

Any suggestions for something comprehensive, IN PRINT and not outrageously =
expensive would be most welcome.

I'm dreaming of something that includes articles on cave art, cuneiform, Eg=
yptian hieroglyphics, Meso-American writing systems, illuminated manuscri=
pts, brief histories of papermaking and of books, a little cross-cultural=
 stuff on calligraphy. something on Gutenberg, a little not-to-heavy theo=
ry about what "text" has come to mean, a little Keith Smith, something hi=
storical or theoretical about artist books and book arts --- you see what=
 I mean...

I can use the web, esp. Philobiblion, for a lot, but I'd rather not have to=
 put together a reserve shelf or a course pack if there's a decent altern=
ative in print.

Thanks!!!

Judy Kerman
Judith B. Kerman