Re: [BKARTS] Type in North America

Re: the wish for more 'she' and 'her' in matters typographic:

Women are there, but largely invisible in the histories. For instance, the
first press on North American ground, in Cambridge, most often referred to
as the Press of Stephen Daye, was actually owned by Elizabeth Glover, the
widow of Samuel, who died en route to the colonies with the press and its
operator (Daye). Elizabeth, like many printers' widows, took over the
business, in her case in fact actually establishing the business. I don't
recall any other instance where a press has been referred to by its
operator (Daye was a locksmith by trade as I remember and there is quite a
bit of supposition that it was in fact his son who ran the press) rather
than by its owner when the two were separate, as they most often were.

The American colonial and early republican era lists 3 dozen or so women
who owned presses (named, unlike Glover, although often listed as 'Widow
of').

Kathy Walkup

Kathleen A. Walkup
Director, Book Arts Program
Mills College                           P.o. Box 327
Oakland CA 94613                        Palo Alto CA 94302
                                        650 218 7431/tel
510 430 2001/tel                        650 325 7166/fax
510 430 3314/fax
kwalk@mills.edu