Re: [BKARTS] Trends and influences

Dear Katie,

I read your reply to the question of trends and influences in bookmaking
today.

Regarding the idea of a "real book", I recall reading that, in the first
years of printing from movable type in Europe, people would buy a printed
book and take to to a scriptorium to be copied in manuscript, at that time
considered a "real book". The printed book was then discarded. The book
from the printing press was considered cheap, as we who remember mimeograph
would consider that medium and today, photocopied books. What is a "real
book" is dependent on aesthetics, I think. The idea is to learn to use the
medium, whether manuscript, letterpress, photocopy, computer and printer,
or whatever else we come up with, to its best advantage in making our
statement, which included not only the book's content but the design,
materials, and medium in combination. Look at what the Russian Futurists
did with carbon paper, rubber stamps, and potato prints bound in wallpaper.

Richard K.