[BKARTS] Influence and typefaces

Dear Katie- Speaking of influence and typefaces, I share this tale of
discovery.

While at Haystack Mountain School several years ago I came across an
interesting note under "dance" in the school's 1800s dictionary. It made
reference to the Dancing Chancellor: Sir Christopher Hatton (1540-1591). The
finest dancer in all of England, he came to the attention of Queen Elizabeth
I, from whom he received offices, honors, gifts and lands!!! This small item,
consisting of one sentence, stayed in my mind and in August led me to begin
an artist book.

At the National Art Library at the Victoria and Albert Museum I discovered
the complete story, as well as, a collaborator and pen-pal a la 84 Charring
Cross Road. Closer to home, the NY Public Library offered loveletters, the
Watson Library of the Metropolitan Museum, and FIT Costume Collection
Library, period costumes, the Museum of TV and Radio, visual inspiration.
The new NYPL Lincoln Center Jerome Robbins Dance Collection provided 16thC.
dance etiquette and videotapes of two of its librarians dancing Elizabethan
galliards in period costumes. Quite an adventure!

As I get closer to press time and intrigued by your message, I thought
perhaps you could advise me in a search for an appropriate typeface with
the look of that period, which might be available for computer use.
Would you have any recommendations?

It would be interesting to read how others have found book inspiration and
discovery in adventure.

Thank you.
Alice Simpson
<apeachW96@aol.com>
<<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/tangobook">
http://www.geocities.com/tangobook</A>>

<<I'm working on a new book about the metal typefaces in my shop and the men
(yes, they were all men, Virginia) who made/designed them, so am collecting
anecdotes about type and its origins. If any of you have things to share,
please feel free to email me offlist (or on list, for that matter, as there
may be others who might be interested.)
Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press
Cincinnati, OH