[BKARTS] First U.S. type foundry

This is a little off the topic of "firsts."  In addition to Updike, there
have been some articles in _Printing History: Journal of the American
Printing History Association_, namely:

Stephen O. Saxe, "The Type Founders of New York City, 1840-1900," 3: 4-19

C. Deirdre Phelps, "The First Publication to Use American-Made Type" 13: 28-33

Jennifer B. Lee, "'Our Infant Manufactures:' Early Typefounding in
Philadelphia" 22: 28-39.

I don't have any of these issues handy. Lee's article talks about Archibald
Binney and James Ronaldson (Philadelphia, 1796), our first important type
foundry. The matrices for Binney and Ronaldson no. 1, an attractive scotch
roman, are supposed to be at the Smithsonian. The modern revival face
"Monticello" is based on the face. (The modern edition of Thomas
Jefferson's writings is printed in the "Monticello" typeface: TJ wrote
Ronaldson a letter of thanks for a type specimen sheet and went on to
compliment the typeface, which he compared favorably against Baskerville.)
(I've seen the recipient's copy in the Gilder Lehrman Collection, on
deposit at the Morgan Library, New York.)

Best regards,

Paul Romaine
(Vice-President for Membership/American Printing History Association)
romaine@pipeline.com