[BKARTS] FW: Sizing Question

I have read conflicting opinions about sizing in paper and how this affects
how well the paper will print, especially with letterpress. Conventional
wisdom says that a sized paper will make a better surface for things like
writing and screen printing, while an unsized paper will print better with
letterpress or processes where the ink needs to be pressed into the paper a
bit. This is also the reason that sometimes moist paper prints better, I
have been told. However, it seems like sizing would impede ink spread and
actually make the ink appear darker and sharper, somewhat like a clay
coating. I have had mixed results using sized and unsized paper, and am
wondering if that has anything to do with anything.

I would be interested in hearing from others about your experiences/advice
with sized or unsized papers.

Thanks.

Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press