Re: [BKARTS] Trends and influences

Regarding the idea of a "real book", I recall reading that, in the first
years of printing from movable type in Europe, people would buy a printed
book and take to to a scriptorium to be copied in manuscript, at that time
considered a "real book". The printed book was then discarded. The book
from the printing press was considered cheap, as we who remember mimeograph
would consider that medium and today, photocopied books.....

Richard K.

Dear Richard

I would be quite interested in knowing the reference that you read for your
statement 'people would buy a printed book and take to to a scriptorium to be
copied in manuscript, at that time considered a "real book". The printed book
was then discarded.'

This, I find hard to believe, so a reference would be enlightening.

Gerald