Re: [BKARTS] Trends and influences

I agree with Richard Minsky's assessment that there is a growing interest in
traditional bookbinding techniques.  Unfortunately, as this interest is growing,
the opportunities of learning traditional bookbinding is getting smaller by the
day.  Recently, both Rhohampton and Guildford Colleges in England have closed down
their bookbinding courses.  Not because of lack of interest, but because it is
more economical for the Colleges to fill the same room with computer courses.
This coming year, The Hand Bookbinders of California will not be offering their
year long course in San Francisco because of lack of teachers.  If this trend does
not stop, soon the art of "traditional" bookbinding will vanish.

Many of the techniques in traditional bookbinding can be adapted to modern book
arts.  I have made several modern design bindings using traditional methods.  I
would be sorry to see these techniques die.  Many traditional methods cannot be
learned in the "workshop" setting of a few days.  They need to be reinforced on a
weekly basis with lots of practice in between.  I don't know if it is within the
charter of the Guild of Bookworkers to promote teaching, but if so, the time is
now before these skills disappear.  I would love to see the Guild, working in
conjunction with Colleges or Universities, setting up several year long courses
across the nation.  I don't know if this is feasible, but it is the only way that
I can see the traditional side of bookbinding surviving to acceptable standards.

Frank Lehmann
Lehmann Bindery