Re: [BKARTS] Content

Hi Alice and list,

I am attending the Artists Book Studio in Session 3, led by Susan King. To
read Haystack's description of the studio, go to
http://www.haystack-mtn.org/session3.html.

My interest in bookmaking orginated from content. I have always loved to
write, and more recent explorations in photography, printmaking, and
illustration have taken me from the store-bought notebook to creating my own
book structures. A similar parallel is showing itself in my professional
interests -- from editorial concepts to the design aspects to wanting to
self-publish my own projects! I'm sure this is a very familiar story (in
fact, I'd love to hear from others who've had this type of epiphany).

Attending brief workshops on binding techniques is incredible fun for me,
but since these are usually focused on manipulating the materials, I often
end up with two things: a blank book, and a pile of content that seems to
call for a different type of binding. It would have been nice to have an
arsenal of bindings that I could apply to any project that came along, but
it turns out my brain doesn't work that way. Because my work is
content-driven, the workshops are even more useful to me if I can begin with
ideas for how I'd like to use a particular style of binding.

Hence, an intensive investigation of the the relationship between content
and form, and learning how to work "from the inside out," is right up my
alley! And I've already got plans for the bindings I hope to learn this
year....

Lani
elabay@risd.edu