[BKARTS] HELP: metal letterpress type

I'm hoping someone out there can help.

Since college, I've been interested in both metal & wood type. I recently
acquired 15 pounds of metal type (yes, it a mix & match of letterforms, but I'm
still REALLY excited about it).

I do not have an actual letterpress yet (someday), but would like to still use
my "new" metal type. My intention when I bought it was to use it almost like
rubber stamps. This is where I need help. I know with traditional
letterpresses, oil based ink is used. If possible, I would like to use
something water based (I am allergic to oil paint & I really don't like the
fumes for solvents to clean up oil based ink). I have tried acrylic paint
(rolling it out with a brayer), but the results have been either gloppy (even
though I am applying it even on the type) or uneven.

Has anyone tried using metal type in this way? Does anyone have any
suggestions? Is there anything I can get that is easily available at an art or
craft supply store? I was going to try ink made for linolium/wood cuts (it is
water based), but it seemed like the same consistency as acrylic paint and was
pricey. I wanted to check on this newsgroup before buying it.

Thanks in advance for your help!
sheri
preston, ct