Re: [BKARTS] HELP: metal letterpress type

Sheri:

I have concerns about using water based inks with anything to do with
letterpress, because when mixing water and metal you are asking for
oxidation, which might ruin your type.

I don't know how serious your allergy is, or what components of the oil
based inks might affect you, but you can clean up without solvents, if that
is the bad part. I know several printers who cannot use solvents, so they
clean up with baby oil. This is what we use almost exclusively in my shop.
Others also use vegetable oils. I only use mineral spirits to clean off the
oil from the presses, etc., so that the next round of inking will not get
mixed with mineral oil (turpentine will also work, and it has a different
base so might be ok with your allergy). We use rubber gloves at all stages,
so our hands never touch the solvents, inks or even the baby oil.

Hope this helps.

Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press
Cincinnati, OH