Re: [BKARTS] Hot Glue Advice

Betty,
Peter answered your query, and so will I.

I have a couple of glue pots.  One electric, and an old double
boiler tin-lined copper set.  But what I use is a glass custard
dish with a fluted edge (keeps the brush from rolling off).

I don't actually measure anymore.  If I'm gluing wood it will
be thicker than if I'm lining a spine, and very thin if I'm
resizing paper.

First, I put in some distilled water.  Then I sprinkle in some
gelatin.  If there is some dry gelatin on top of the pile once
it has swollen up I add some water; if it is still wet after
swelling up, I add some gelatin.

When I'm ready to use it I place the custard dish on a sand bath
(some dry sand in an old 8mm film can on an electric burner) and
turn the heat on - low.

After I've used the glue, I pour out what is left onto an old
Melmac (TM) plate to dry (a teflon surface would do as well).

So, sometimes I use 'fresh' gelatin; sometimes I break up old
glue films from the Melmac.

As to use, I generally add some cooked wheat starch paste to the
glue.  It makes the glue more flexible.  In the same vein, I often
add methyl cellulose to cooked wheat starch paste.  More flexibility,
and easier to dissolve, should that become necessary.

Jack

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon USA