Re: [BKARTS] Looking for information on binder

Pter,
A quick search for Stanescu binder on the web turned up the following. Could it be the person you are looking for?

In the Abby Newsletter:
"Catherine Stanescu, an outstanding binder born in Rumania in 1908, died in 1998. Deborah Evetts wrote a moving obituary for her that appeared in the Guild of Book Workers Newsletter for February 1999. "

Which lead to the following from the mentioned newsletter:

"Obituary: Catherine Stanescu (1908 - 1998)
Catherine Stanescu led a life of extraordinary contrasts. She was born into a wealthy Rumanian family, and enjoyed a fine education before marrying an important government official. With these beginnings, it was hard to imagine that anything could go wrong, but when the Communists took over in her country, her husband, who had been the Royal Treasurer, was lucky to escape with his life. In fact, for two years, Catherine lived alone in Switzerland while she waited for Ion to join her. She passed the time studying bookbinding, never dreaming that she would become an outstanding bookbinder in America.

I first met Catherine in 1967, soon after starting work for Alan Miller, owner of the St. Crispin Bindery. He invited the members of the Guild of Book Workers to a grand opening for the St. Crispin Studio, where I was to teach bookbinding. Although Catherine had her own studio and faithful following of devoted students, she came to see the new studio and to meet a new binder just arrived from England. I well remember my first impression of her. She had a wonderfully kind face and her genuine good wishes for my success and happiness were quickly followed by offers of help to find supplies, tools and equipment.

For the next thirty years I enjoyed her friendship and valued her expert comments on my work. She lived not far from the Morgan Library, so I would drop in for tea and a chat after work, and to get her opinion on my latest designs. She especially enjoyed seeing the finished bindings and would note every detail with delight.

Following the collapse of Communism in Eastern Europe, Catherine decided to return to Rumania to live with her brother and sister-in-law in Timisoara.

Catherine was a highly skilled bookbinder trained in the French style. Her elegant fine bindings were snapped up by discriminating collectors, and her restoration skills were appreciated by collectors and institutions alike. Above all, her kindness, generosity, loyalty and courage were object lessons for all of us who were fortunate enough to know her.

Deborah M. Evetts,
Pierpont Morgan Library,
November 16, 1998 "

Is the the person you are looking for?
Dave

At 04:49 PM 5/9/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm working on a project and was hoping someone might have any information
>on a woman (or male) binder named Stanescu who taught a student named Eva
>Kivelson. This may have happened in the first quarter of the 20th century
>in New York City. Does anyone have any possible sources of information.
>
>Peter
>

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Philobiblon: Book Arts, Different By Design
>Hand Binding, Conservation, and Project Websites
>Peter D. Verheyen
><mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
><http://www.philobiblon.com/philobiblon>

David Allen