<< Date:    Mon, 13 May 2002 10:52:40 -0400
From:    "Susan K. Gaylord" <skgaylord@MAKINGBOOKS.COM>
Subject: Re: Trends and Influences

 Dear Friends

    I am just getting around to responding to the conversation on Trends in
book arts,
content, etc. I don't know if I would call it a trend but I am meeting people
who are coming into the book arts from other areas of art, in particular
photography. They are attracted to the book for its capacity to involve
sequence, to add text, and to bring separate images together into a cohesive
whole. I think one approaches new material differently when one comes from
another field.
     My first entry into the world of visual art was calligraphy. When I
discovered
letterform and the pen, a whole new world opened to me. I was primarily
self-taught the first few years and later took workshops. I was interested in
learning everything. I worked my way through all the hands, read all the
background history that I could, studied books of manuscripts as well as
collections of contemporary work. I was like a sponge. As time went on, I
started to become more interested in the gesture and movement of the
calligraphic stroke than in the form of the letters and I began to write my
own texts. I came to feel I wanted more than what was happening on the flat
page and turned to the book.
     When I came to the book arts, I was not the same person who discovered
calligraphy. I had content in mind and a sense of what I wanted to say, and I
was looking for a new vehicle for that content. I was much more selective in
what I wanted to learn. I was drawn immediately to the simpler forms. I had
no desire to make a hardbound multi-signature bookand I still don't today.
The simpler structures allow me to think about the content in a more
three-dimensional way.
     One of the things that I loved about calligraphy is its immediacy. You
put pen to paper
and you make your mark. While it takes lots of practice (I was a driven soul
with pen and
paper for years) to make the marks you want, the results are immediate. I
find that working with the simpler book forms also offers a certain
immediacy. I think it’s also why I was never interested in trying letterpress
but have been intrigued by the possibilities first of copier and now of
digital printing.
     As always, I appreciate these conversations.
in good spirit
Susan
--
Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord