Re: [BKARTS] advise on letterpresses...

Dear Sheri,

I think the choice between a pilot press and a flatbed press is personal:
what kind of press have you tried? Perhaps you should find one to try out
before you invest. I was always a little sorry not to have gotten an Adana
flatbed press for my own use. I did build a flatbed press using an old
copying press as the platen. Later on, I discovered that David Chambers of
the Cookoo Hill Press, in England, and Secretary to the Private Libraries
Association, built one, as well. He printed a wonderful little book about
its design and construction, which, I believe, he printed on that press.

If you want to send me a mailing address, I will send you a photocopy of my
copy of his little book.

The rollers suggest the pilot presses you are considering are on the small
side. Are these presses available to you locally? Is there a used printing
equipment dealer near you, where you can see what you are getting? If you
are located in or near a large city, you should be able to find one.
Sometimes, school districts dismantle print shops that were used in their
industrial arts program. I was able to get a Chandler and Price Old Series
Pilot Press for free that way. It is worth a few phone calls.

Rollers can be cast. If you have the cores, you are better off. If the
press comes without the cores (the spindles the rollers are cast on), you
may not get the roller trucks, the little wheels the cores fit into so they
will roll over the form as you pull the press handle.

Good luck!

Richard K.