[BKARTS] moleskine

Moleskin(e), an English term, is either the tanned skin of a mole or muskrat,
hair left on, or a velvet-like material but with a very much finer, shorter
and denser nap than velvet. The fabric is almost fuzzy in look and feel.
I don't believe that the animal skin was much used in binding, though being a
fur, it was used for clothing, especially muskrat.
The fabric moleskin was widely used in clothing and in it's lighter weights
for binding and boxmaking in 19th and early 20th century England, both as an
outer covering and more often I think, as a lining material. Best
James

James Tapley
Hand
Bookbinder