[BKARTS] dry mounting

Peter Sramek wrote:
>The problem is not so much with the adhesive as I understand it but
>with the paper base of the tissue.

For many years I used Fusion 4000 dry mounting adhesive from Seal. It has no
tissue and melts completely at about 190 degrees Fahrenheit. Work I did with
this 25 years ago still looks fresh and is well adhered.

The Gudy line of adhesive films also works very well. Gudy O is like Fusion in
that it has no carrier (it's just the adhesive) but requires no heat. It comes
backed on release paper and works like giant double sided tape. Gudy V has a
carrier in case you need additional strength.

If the work you are mounting is heat sensitive or if you don't have a hot
mounting press then Gudy is the better choice, though somewhat more expensive.

These days I use very little of either product, and mostly do heat bonding with
Jade 403. Although not as thermoplastic as the old Elvace 1874, it is readily
available and does the job. For the most part I've given up paperbacking cloth
for use in binding, except when it's too fragile to handle otherwise. If the
weave is not tight enough to prevent adhesive migration to the surface, I roll
PVA onto the boards (or hollow back), wait until the adhesive starts to go
translucent (so it doesn't ooze) and iron it on. For quantity production it can
go into the Seal press, which makes a quick and neat laminate of the cloth to
the board.

The turn-ins can be glued separately (after the case design/title is foil
stamped). It takes very little adhesive to do the turn-ins, and a light brush or
roller stroke can apply it to most cloths without it penetrating through.
Sometimes with thin porous cloth I leave the board edge unadhered, and apply the
adhesive to the inside (turn-in area) of the board. Even if applied to the
cloth, it doen't matter if it stains a bit, so long as the stain area is hidden
by the pastedown. Again wait until it starts to go translucent. It usually has
enough tack to turn in and lay down with a bone folder. Alternatively, it can
simply be turned over quickly by hand for production work and slipped into the
seal press for a few seconds to adhere the turn-in.

If casing-in is to be done immediately (in-line production) then a separate
pressing for the turn-in may not be necessary (except on very dry days).

--
 Richard
 http://minsky.com