Re: [BKARTS] OLYMPUS D-100 and HP Scanner

I can offer some advice, but will apologize in advance if it gets confusing
(it is!) The trick with digital images is to get them to have enough
resolution (300dpi is usually max) so that they print clearly and cleanly
without becoming too large in terms of file size.

First, when emailing photos, keep in mind that they usually need to be 1 meg
or less in file size or they can get too large and become problematic to
download or transfer. If you scan photos, be sure to scan them at 300 dpi at
the size the photo will be used. If the photos will be printed at the same
size as the scans (ie, physical size, say 4x5"), then the photos will be
100% and 300 dpi is ok. If they will be enlarged (say 200%, or 8x10) then
they should be scanned at 600 because the resolution will be cut in half by
the enlargement. To further confuse matters, some scanning software allows
you to set the resolution AND the enlargement (%) so it will compute it all
for you.

If your publication ends up with photos at 300 dpi, they can always "down
res" them to 150 if necessary. However, if you don't scan with enough
resolution, there is no way to put it back.

Keep in mind that there is a good reason why some scanners cost about $100
and some cost thousands. There is a difference in quality, so be prepared to
sacrifice something if you are using low end equipment.

As to digital cameras, I don't know specifically about the Olympus camera,
but with other digital cameras I have used, the photos required some
manipulation or otherwise the file size was WAY too large. (This is not the
case of most low end digital cameras which are really used for web images,
which are low resolution.) I suspect that some software for high end digital
cameras makes it possible to have a range of resolutions, from low to very
high, and to do that, the image is captured at the highest resolution, and
one must "fix" the photo at the right resolution or the file size will be
WAY too large for most uses, certainly WAY too large for email.

Hope this helps.

Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press
Cincinnati, OH